Sunday, October 10, 2010

Lost Brother

I do not like this poem. I especially hate the first two lines: " i knew the tree was my lost brother when i heard he was cut down."  These lines make me think of how no one really cares until things are gone. Those lines remind me of the song If I Die Young by The Band Perry  a line in the song says "A penny for my thoughts, oh no I’ll sell them for a dollar They're worth so much more after I’m a goner And maybe then you’ll hear the words I been singin’ Funny when you're dead how people start listenin’"    i dislike how the author does not care about the tree, his "lost brother" until the tree has been cut down. I do not understand the line that says "I am prepared to live as long as he did." I think it means that the author is ready to live as long as he should. for example, the author is okay with dying when it is his time. that may be wrong but whatever. The author is also not referring to a single tree which i thought was weird. he is referring to trees as a whole. the line that says "at impossible locations" shows this. A tree is rooted in one spot and therefore can't be in different locations. so he must be talking about many trees.

1 comment:

  1. I hadn't thought about it this way, but you could be right. I just thought he was trying to get me to see the tree as a brother before it's gone. Hmm. Interesting.

    ReplyDelete