| WHEN I heard the learn’d astronomer; | |
| When the proofs, the figures, were ranged in columns before me; | |
| When I was shown the charts and the diagrams, to add, divide, and measure them; | |
| When I, sitting, heard the astronomer, where he lectured with much applause in the lecture-room, | |
| How soon, unaccountable, I became tired and sick; | |
| Till rising and gliding out, I wander’d off by myself, | |
| In the mystical moist night-air, and from time to time, | |
Look’d up in perfect silence at the stars.
This poem is a great example of how a person does not have to understand something to love it or think it is beautiful.The narrator is trying to understand stars and gets bored and then goes outside and looks at the stars and finds that he loves the stars even without understanding them. This reminds me of the poem Of Mere Being. We do not have to add human meaning to everything sometimes it can just be. The stars can make people happy without understanding them .
In regards to the structure of the poem i think that the way Walt Whitman repeats "when" and capitalizes it shows how monotonous and boring trying to learn about the stars is to him. Until Walt leaves the room every line starts with "When" and it shows how the lecture drags on and how boring it is. I can relate to that because i have been in some very boring classes.
I think Walt Whitman wants people to get out of this poem that knowing everything is not necessary that sometimes we can enjoy things we do not understand. |
| | | | | | |
This is good. You've done a nice job with this.
ReplyDeleteI liked that you brought up something I had never really thought about before. I love things all of the time without wondering how it came to be or anything like that. I like that you say we don't always need to know the details to know we love something.
ReplyDeleteTerra, you are so good and making things simple. I tend to beat stuff with a hose sometimes but it's refreshing to read your simplified thoughts. I also thought you did an awesome job with analyzing structure, meaning, and whitman's intentions.
ReplyDelete